Hello,
Last year I decided to be a little brave and smoke a turkey for Christmas. (it was really hard finding the papers big enough :)) All jokes aside I started by putting the turkey in a salt water brine and leaving it overnight. I didn't have a pot big enough to do this so I found a new garbage sack and put it in that and then added the ready made brine (about 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of salt to a gallon of water. Yes, very salty water) The brine seals the meat, you can do this for a whole chicken, peices, anything really. You will be surprised with the results as it stops the meat drying out during cooking. Anyhow, I diegress. I placed the bag with the Turkey and the brine in a big cooler and then covered it with ice to keep it cold. At this time I also soaked the wood I was going to use for smoking in a bucket and let that sit overnight aswell.
Now the only problem with smoking a whole turkey is that it takes alot more time than in a conventional oven, basically double the time.
I placed the wood in the bottom by the element, (The more wood you use the stronger the smokey flavour.I used a combination of Hickory and Citrus.) and then I placed the turkey in the centre of the Smoker above a water bath. (I use a Brinkman 1500W Electric smoker)
After about 6 hours or so and of course that will depened on the size of your Bird start checking the Temperature. You want it to be at 140 to be safe. It will be this dark golden brown just like a cookbook picture.
When it is done take it out and let it rest for at least 3/4 of an hour before cutting into it.
Let me know if you do it and how it turned out, I am already getting a tad peckish just thinking about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment